'45365' and Food inc. Weekend Wrap up.

Posted by Stuart Aug 2, 2009













On Hulu, for a very limited time, you can watch '45365', which is a documentary of sorts that captures the story of life in a small town. The small town is Sidney Ohio which is actually the home town of the filmmakers, which explains the level of access this movie has. It's a lot like being a fly on the wall of this community. It remains consistently interesting, which was a big surprise for me.
It's very odd checking in on this community and it's even more strange how quickly we, the viewer, are tempted to be judgmental. But anything out of context seems strange, and most of us are quick lash out against that which we don't understand. Maybe that's just me. Maybe people will be more sympathetic, or empathetic rather, than I was. The truth is, this movie walks the fine line between celebrating the thing that it's showing and making it into a unfavorable spectacle. I think, ultimately, it's respectful but some might not agree.

It's a very limited engagement so, if you're interested, be sure and catch it before August 6th.

I also got a chance to watch Food Inc.

This movie is one of the most satisfying documentaries I've seen in a long time. I have to own this when it comes out on DVD. Maybe it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time because I've recently been reading a lot on the subject of food production. I could tell from the audience was deeply affected by the documentary, at times gasping and other times snickering. I'll hold off on saying whether or not I think this is a really "good" documentary or not, because at the moment that's besides the point. What I will say, and I realise this is totally biased, is that this documentary is extremely important to watch. I felt all warm and tingly inside afterward.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Installed by CahayaBiru.com

Podcasts



Twitter

Recent Comments