IMAX Digital Dilema

Posted by Stuart May 24, 2009

I've seen Star Trek twice now, once in a "regular" theater and once in an IMAX theater. The particular IMAX theater that I watched the movie in had recently been equipped with a new digital projector, the old one was a 70mm projector. Three things really bothered me about this transition. The image on the digital was smaller, blurrier, and had the rainbow that DLP projectors are notorious for. This made for a mediocre movie going experience, though I doubt many will notice. My sentiments were only reinforced by a recent /film article in which quotes the IMAX group as saying that 2% of ticket buyers would even notice the difference. True or not, IMAX digital isn't quite up to snuff, I've seen it myself. But for those who haven't check out this comparison pic also posted on /film. The little one is the digital format and the large one is the 70mm.

Nothing beats the size, color, and clarity of the old 70mm. What does IMAX intend to do about the growing number of people that notice this glaring discontinuity. AMC is upgrading to 2k soon so they'd better hurry.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Installed by CahayaBiru.com

Podcasts



Twitter

Recent Comments